Help and Advice

/Help and Advice
Help and Advice2018-01-27T12:13:49+00:00

Please feel free to contact the animal centre should you require any pet welfare advice or if you have a general enquiry. Our reception and telephone switchboard is open Tuesday – Sunday 10.00am – 4.30pm – call 01246 273358.

Pets locatedThe RSPCA Chesterfield & North Derbyshire Branch operates a local lost and found pet register. Please telephone 01246 273358 to report an animal onto the register. If you have found an animal please do not bring the animal to the centre. You are advised to contact us by phone first to disscuss your situation.

We also use to register stray animals that are brought into the animal centre. The service is free to use if you wish to place a found animal, however there is a small charge if you wish to advertise your missing pet. We would advise that if you have lost or found a pet you use a service like pets located to help reunite pets with their owners.

straydogThe RSPCA Chesterfield & North Derbyshire Branch is not able to take in stray dogs. The Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005 (section 68) makes your local authority solely responsible for dealing with stray dogs.

To arrange for a stray dog to be collected, please contact your local authority dog warden.

The RSPCA Chesterfield & North Derbyshire Branch cannot pick up stray dogs or accept them from people who find them. Instead, we direct people to their local authority. If you feel the dog is in imminent danger or severely suffering and the local authority dog wardens are unable to attend, please call 0300 1234 999.

Local Council Information

Chesterfield Borough Council Normal service – 01246 345734 / 01246 345 345 Out of hours – 0300 323 0076

North East Derbyshire District Council Normal service – 01246 231111 / Out of hours – 01246 242424

Bolsover District Council Normal service – 01246 242424 / Out of hours – 01246 242424

We also recommend you visit Pets Located, an online resource that reunites owners with their pets.

Stray catUnfortunately due to demand from our Inspectors we don’t have the resources to take in healthy stray cats. We aim to provide care for animals most at need, which means welfare concerns and/or injured animals. If you are concerned about a sick or injured stray cat please call 0300 1234 999.

If you come across an unfamiliar cat which is healthy and you are concerned it may be lost, the following advice may help the cat be reunited with its owner.

  • Cats roam over a wide area, so ask around to see if anyone knows who it belongs to

  • Check to see if the cat is wearing a collar with some form of identification. Take precautions when approaching the cat and checking for a collar

  • If you can safely transport the cat to a vet, you could have it scanned for a microchip.

  • If this isn’t possible but you can get close enough to put a collar on it, then download our Paper cat collars [PDF 36.5KB]. Take precautions when approaching the cat and fixing the collar.

  • You can also download and print a Found poster [PDF 10.7KB].

  • You can contact the animal centre on 01246 273358 to place the cat on our local lost and found pet register.

  • We also recommend you visit Pets Located, an online resource that reunites owners with their pets.

If you would like to discuss a stray cat with us please call 01246 273358.

FledglingWhat to do with orphaned wild animals

If you’re worried about a baby wild animal that seems to be alone, don’t touch it but just watch it from a distance.

The RSPCA receive many calls about young wild animals from people who think they are orphaned but it’s likely that the parents are nearby, waiting for people to leave.  For more information about orphaned wild animals please visit

What to do with injured wild animals

If you find an injured wild animal, watch it first to see how badly hurt it is. Then contact us on 0300 1234 999, or take it to a nearby vet or wildlife rehabilitator. If possible, contain the animal before calling – see advice below.


Wild animals can scratch and bite when frightened, particularly if they are injured.

If in doubt, keep a safe distance and call us on 0300 1234 999.

Apply common sense when approaching an injured animal:

  • Never lift a wild animal, unless you are sure that you can do so without risk to yourself or others.

  • Wear gloves when handling all wild animals, especially oiled wildlife – pollutants like oil can be hazardous.

  • Keep the animal away from your face.

  • Wash your hands thoroughly after handling an animal.

  • Take care in dangerous locations, such as a busy road. Watch from a distance first to see whether the animal is still alive, call for help if you can’t reach it safely.

  • Never try to free an animal from a snare or trap – you risk hurting yourself and the animal and it could be an offence if the animal was legally caught. Stay back to avoid stressing the animal and call us with the location.

Capture and boxing

If it’s safe to catch and handle the animal, then, wearing suitable gloves, quickly place it into a secure cardboard box with ventilation holes, lined with towel or newspaper. Keep the animal quiet and take it to a vetRSPCA wildlife centre or local wildlife rehabilitator, (but note not all have been inspected by the RSPCA).

It’s often faster to take an animal to a vet yourself as your nearest RSPCA officer may be out of the area attending other calls. If you are unable to transport the animal, call 0300 1234 999.

CCABLOGOPets can develop a range of behaviour problems, such as aggression, destructiveness, inappropriate toileting, self-mutilation, inappropriate vocal behaviour, nervousness, and phobias. Such behaviour can be inconvenient for you, the owner, but more importantly it is often a sign that your pet’s welfare is poor.

Seek expert advice from your vet first

If your pet develops a behaviour problem you should seek expert advice. It is important to get your pet checked by a vet first to rule out any form of illness or injury that could be causing the behaviour problem. Your vet can then refer you to a behaviour expert.

How to find a behaviour expert

It’s important that the behaviour expert identified is someone with the appropriate knowledge, skills and experience to treat your pet. Anyone can call themselves a behaviour expert, but many do not possess up-to-date knowledge or the necessary skills required to treat pets with behaviour problems.
Inappropriate or outdated advice or methods may adversely affect your pet’s welfare and even make your pet’s behaviour problem worse.

The Association for the Study of Animal Behaviour (ASAB) accredits Certified Clinical Animal Behaviourists (CCAB), who possess the appropriate skills, knowledge and abilities. This includes having an Honours or higher degree in a relevant subject, attendance at appropriate specialist courses, and at least three years of regular clinical experience.

The Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors (APBC) also represents animal behaviourists. APBC members will have at least a relevant degree and two year’s experience or a postgraduate qualification and one year’s experience.

CCAB and APBC behaviour experts will work to identify the cause of the behaviour problem and then develop structured treatment plans that are suitable for you, your pet and your circumstances.

If you are on a lower income, many leading pet insurers in the UK now allow their policy holders to claim for consultations provided by full members of the Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors and certified clinical animal behaviourists. Some APBC behaviourists also offer reduced fees, though this is at the discretion of the individual.

Find an ASAB Certified Clinical Animal Behaviourist (CCAB) – visit:

Find an APBC behaviourist – visit:

A cat with a vetAll pets need to be registered with a veterinary practice, where you can take your animal for routine health care and advice, as well as any emergency treatment.

Vet Help Direct is an online guide to help you to decide how quickly you should contact your vet.


Find a vet

All veterinary surgeons must be registered by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS).

Find an RCVS accredited veterinary practice – visit :

Call a vet

Vetfone is a 24-hour service, which works like an NHS Direct for pets, and anyone can call. It is staffed exclusively by UK-qualified veterinary nurses with years of experience.

You can pay upfront or have the call charged to your bill, and the cost is typically less than an initial consultation.

Visit for more information.

If an animal you own or are responsible for is suffering or in pain, you are required under the Animal Welfare Act to take them to a vet.